Knit Together

Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen because we all are knit together.
--Thomas Carlyle

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Eager

I had my second knitting class today, where I learned the purl stitch. It was so very awkward at first, but my fingers are getting more adept. I also decided that I want to make a hat, a sample of which is on a styrofoam head at Commuknity. Nathania found the pattern -- it's a Rowan -- and said she'd help me through. It calls for size 15 needles, so I got them. "Pace yourself," my inner critic says. Well, I am. I haven't bought all the yarn that's wooing me from every shelf and cubbyhole in the store!

Here's a terribly selfish thought. I want to make things, but I only need so many scarves, hats, and hotpads. I'm not sure I want to get into complex projects like sweaters. I could knit scarves until kingdom come, except that yarn -- the gorgeous kind that's fun to work with -- can be expensive. I can give them away to loved ones, and I will. After a point, however, they too will have their fill of such things. That leaves knitting for charities. I'm all for that, except -- and here's the selfish part -- making a scarf out expensive yarn for someone who may not appreciate that gives me pause. And I feel a twinge of shame for that.

Speaking of yarn, I wish I'd bought three skeins of the Crystal Palace yarn I'm using for my first scarf. I can see now it won't be long enough, and it's too wide. I'm going to "reverse knit" and start over to make it less wide. Now that I'm more coordinated, the stitches will be more even too. This should keep me occupied until my last class, which is in two weeks.

There's so much still to learn! Increases, decreases, stitch holders, yarn types... Bring it on!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    In Stitch N Bitch there's a cute, useful pattern for headkerchiefs. It's a triangle and an exercise in increasing. I made two. I love them.

    You can knit lots of useful objects, like a water bottle sling, as well as scarves and such. I've still not knitted a hat for myself yet ;)

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Kate Schmidt said…

    Nah, never use expensive yarn on someone who you're not sure will appreciate it. Life's too short for that kind of rejection. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home