Knit Together

Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen because we all are knit together.
--Thomas Carlyle

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Stitchin' But Not Bitchin'

bumpy yarn

Friday evening I got a little bored with the orange yarn. A few months ago I'd bought chunky yarn and size 11 needles, which I later learned were not the best items with which to start learning. I picked these up and decided to try anyway. My husband listened to me as I explained the terms; he watched as I worked, said he found it relaxing. (I'd heard that knitting could be relaxing, but watching someone knit? Apparently so.) The yarn is somewhat harder to work with -- there's a tendency to split the strand. However, I enjoy the visible progress larger needles allow, I like the fact that the variable, bumpy texture hides small errors in stitching, and I am more engaged by the color. I have two skeins, so by the time I'm done it will be a very wide and short scarf. I'll be fairly proud of that, too, and you can be sure I'll wear it.

I took time to look at knitting books and online patterns, and I'm a bit daunted. The instructions are given in a hieroglyphic code. For example, from a tea cozy pattern in the one book I own, Basic Knitting, "Work dec rnd as follows: k2togtble, work to 2 sts before marker, k2tog, sl marker, k2togtble..." Then it offers this highly enlightening tip: "An ssk can be substituted for the k2togtble -- see page 41." I think I need a different book -- this one clearly assumes knowledge I do not have. Any suggestions on good books with neat projects for beginners?

Yarn note: Musique Crystal Palace Yarns; 65 yards/50 grams; 2.5-3.5 sts/inch; size 10.5-11 US; 45% acrylic, 40% wool, 15% cotton; vendor Straw Into Gold, Richmond, CA, www.straw.com; $6.25 skein, 2 skeins bought at Knitting Arts.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's funny. Scott likes to watch me knit, too. He finds it comforting somehow.

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been knitting since I was 12 now I am 53. My grandmother learned in Ireland where it was taught in the schools. When I first asked her about pattern reading she said I was daft. She had never read a pattern in her life. So although I knit with patterns now you don't need them till you are much more comfortable with the needles. Get great yarn, which you have-you know how to knit & purl. Do what they taught the young girls in Ireland - make a scarf as a Sampler. Get a basic knitting book from the library or a good stitching shop that only shows stitches. NOT PATTERNS. Then every 6 inches or so change your stitch. By the time you finish the scarf or pillow top or potholder any square or rectangle object- you will be a pro. You are an artist -yarn is just another paint.
    When you know the stitches you will feel more creative. A pattern can be as confining as a paint by numbers kit. Try it you will like it.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I highly recommend the Vogue knitting reference (recently reprinted and available pretty much anywhere.) It's the only book that's never been off of my coffee table in 20 years and the explanations offered are stated clearly and sensibly. It looks also looks like you're doing *very* well so far!

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Aenigma said…

    Thank you for the recommendations. I plan to go to the library and try them out, and if I like the books, I'll buy them. The Vogue reference book is on my wishlist -- maybe Santa will notice. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home