Knit Together

Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen because we all are knit together.
--Thomas Carlyle

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Scrub a Tub Stall

I'm rather a slacker when it comes to the housecleaning subsection of the domestic arts. And today I decided to remedy that -- at least in part.

We have very hard water, so lots of scaling builds up. Our rental house master shower stall is huge. It's 5 feet long by 3 feet wide and tiled over 6 feet tall. The entire shower, including the floor, is laid with 4 inch by 4 inch beige tile set in dusky pink grout. (This eliminates CLR as a cleaning option for our hard water because it will bleach the color from the grout.) There's a shelf where the shower door panel window meets the tile because of the super-size bathtub that abuts it. It's full of nooks and crannies. This makes cleaning it a royal pain in the ass. It involves being bodily in the shower, and if you need water to rinse you have to leave to get it from the faucet, or get naked and turn on the shower. It's no project to undertake unless you have a lot of time.

Which means that cleaning it happens less frequently than someone like, say, my eldest sister would desire. Husband and I are content to let it be up to a point; we reach that point about the same time. (Have you noticed when you live with someone that it's the person with lower tolerance for grunge who ends up cleaning everything all the time?)

So I tackled the shower today. It's much nicer now, and I feel a tad virtuous. Which means I will reward myself with a mug of coffee and a trip to buy more toffee-making provisions.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger Caroline said…

    I've tried to increase my tolerance for undone housework as my husband only ever notices dirt if his mother is coming... I do invite her as often as possible too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home