Knit Together

Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen because we all are knit together.
--Thomas Carlyle

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Am I Insane?

At the yarn store I started realizing the enormity of the project. I was going to need almost thirty balls of wool. That's a lot of yarn. That's so much yarn that when I told the yarn store lady what I needed, she let out a low whistle and gave me a look that told me that she thought that maybe when I'm not knitting oversized afghans I amused myself by trying to pick up marbles with chopsticks. It's so much that she had to go into the basement to look for two cases of the yarn in question. As she stacked the yarn on the counter she seemed a little incredulous. This should have been my first warning: When a person who sells yarn for a living thinks that maybe you're buying a lot of yarn -- well, it's a sign. A different sort of knitter would have taken that as a hint. Me? I thought she was a knitter without aspirations.

--Stephanie Pearl McPhee, Yarn Harlot: the Secret Life of a Knitter
We used my parents' wedding gift money to buy a new bed in January. The comforter we've had for several years is falling apart. Stitches West is happening this weekend, and there's a convention center full of booths stuffed with yarn. Maybe I could knit an afghan for the bed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home