Knit Together

Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen because we all are knit together.
--Thomas Carlyle

Monday, April 02, 2007

Dessert for Ten With Just Three Apples

We were invited to a party on Saturday, and I was assigned dessert. (Wise choice by the host, as I love to bake. I also made from-scratch brownies.) I had only three large apples; not enough for a stand-alone apple pie. I searched the internet and came up with a recipe for apple-pecan pie. I modified a couple of things, and the recipe is below. One thing I'd do differently next time is not use molasses. The pie tasted fine; in fact, if you like mincemeat pie, the molasses is a plus. I'd like to try it without though and see which I like better.
apple pecan pie

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup dark molasses (next time I'll sub with an extra 1/4 cup corn syrup)
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, plus a sprinkle for the top
2 or 2.5 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 9-inch pie shell.

Cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in eggs, molasses, corn syrup, lemon juice, and spices. Add apples and pecans and mix thoroughly. Pour filling into pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and crust brown. Cool before serving.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Oh yummy! I just gained 5 pounds looking at it and I LOVE LOVE cinnamon and apples.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home