Knit Together

Let one who wants to move and convince others, first be convinced and moved themselves. If a person speaks with genuine earnestness the thoughts, the emotion and the actual condition of their own heart, others will listen because we all are knit together.
--Thomas Carlyle

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

If I Bring It

Long ago when I started baking, I decided to make it a point of pride to learn how to make pie crust from scratch. My crusts never come out perfectly, but they do the job well enough. However, I have never had a massive failure -- that is to say, I've never had dough that was too flaky, gooey, or dry to handle. I've always managed to get it rolled out large enough to cover the pan and topping (if it's a two-crust pie) with enough to crimp the edges. You know, a proper pie crust.

Today I experienced pie crust structural failure. I made the dough last night and refrigerated it. Perhaps I measured the ingredients incorrectly. (Although how can you mess up something that's made from flour, salt, shortening, and water?) I rolled out the bottom and barely got it into the pan. I patched the broken spaces. Then I tried to roll the top. Ugh. Flakes everywhere. It fell apart under pressure. I tried briefly warming the dough in the microwave, thinking the shortening might soften up. It actually started to cook the dough. In the end, I decided to stop fiddling and just deal with what was in front of me. I didn't have the energy or heart to make more dough. I still have stuffing to make.

So I decided to plop the partial top crust onto the apples and call it avante garde apple pie. My friend (who's hosting a bunch of us) had stopped by to watch Claire while I prepped, and he said it'll taste good anyway. Apples and sugar and spice. What's not to like? He made me promise to bring it. Do you think if I bring it, they will eat?
avant garde apple pie

[cross-posted at A Mindful Life]

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger emily said…

    looks delicious!

    check out our pie blog www.nothinginthehouse.blogspot.com
    for more creative pies!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home